Enjoy the Holidays, Avoid Back Pain
December 11, 2019
Every year when the holidays come up we forget to be careful with our backs. Bending, scooping, lifting – at the end of the festivities pill bottles are opened and hot baths are drawn. BodyFit Physiotherapy gives some tips to avoid the return of your back pain in the upcoming weeks:
“Few people realize the hidden dangers that lie beneath the surface during the festive season. Activities such as gardening, food shopping or simply lazing around in lounge chairs pose a serious threat to our backs. People with past history of spinal problems are particularly at risk.” Read full post here.
As the holiday season comes around, many of us like to get into the mood by decorating our homes and fixing up the house for guests. This includes heavy lifting, use of equipment, and improper methods could lead in injury.
According to My Health Alberta, here are a few tips to keep in mind while lifting:
- Keep a wide base of support. Your feed should be shoulder-width apart, with one foot slightly ahead of the other (karate stance)
- Squat down, bending at the hips and knees only. If needed, put one knee to the floor and your other knee in front of you bent at a right angle (half kneeling)
- Keep good posture. Look straight ahead, and keep your back straight, your chest out, and your shoulders back. This helps keeps your upper back straight while having a slight arch in your lower back
- Slowly lift by straightening your hips and knees (not your back). Keep your back straight, and don’t twist as you lift
- Hold the load as close to your body as possible, at the level of your belly button
- Use your feet to change direction, taking small steps
- lead with your hips as you change direction. Keep your shoulders in line with your hips as you move
- Set down your load carefully, squatting with the knees and hips only
SimpleTherapy’s lower and upper back programs can help strengthen your body for the holidays to avoid aches and injuries so you can focus on what matters most this season. Download the app today to start your session!
From the team at SimpleTherapy, have a wonderful holiday!
Photo courtesy of the Illinois Back Institute.
Your Journey to Pain Relief
App tracks progress. Step by step guide to pain relief and prevention.Show results
Stay in the know. Our blogs are written by orthopaedic surgeons.